What is climate control storage and do I really need it for my possessions?
This is the most asked question when considering self storage in Ellsworth, Maine and the surrounding areas. Climate control is when the external temperature and humidity are no longer part of the equation for possible damage to your valuables. The humidity level is kept in the optimal range of 35 to 50% to prevent damage from excessive moisture or drying from too little moisture which can be devastating to wood and leather. The temperature is kept within a range relative to the outside temperature to prevent drastic temperature fluxuations. Condensation and moisture caused by this drastic change can wreak havoc on stored items.
When considering climate control ask yourself a few questions to determine if climate control is needed for your possessions. Use the chart below to help.
|Question||If the answer is yes… recommendation||If the answer is No… Recommendation|
|Will it freeze?||Climate Control Storage||Drive Up Storage|
|Is it replaceable?||Drive Up Storage||Climate Control Storage|
|Will it be stored for longer than 6 months?||Climate Control would be best esp in extreme temp fluctuation conditions||Drive up is ok for short periods|
|Is it an heirloom?||Climate Control Storage||Drive Up Storage|
|Will moisture of any kind ruin it?||Climate Control Storage||Drive Up Storage|
|Will the temperature have drastic changes during storage time?||Climate Control Storage||Drive Up Storage|
What items should always be stored in climate control to protect them?
The following list contains items highly recommended for climate control:
- Photographs ~ moisture will destroy photographs or cause them to stick together
- Artwork including refrigerator art ~ canvas, paper and wood should all be stored in climate control
- Heirlooms ~ keepsakes and valuable heirlooms will succumb to moisture ruining them
- Electronics ~ check manufacturers recommendations for storage
- Antiques ~ moisture and dryness are both enemies of antiques
- Leather goods ~ from jackets, to furniture and sports related items if it’s leather extreme heat and/or dry air will ruin them.
- Musical instruments ~ the delicate nature of instruments require the humidity controlled environment of climate control
- Important papers or documents ~ moisture is the bane of paper, it can cause destruction beyond repair in a short period of time.
- Sports Equipment ~ especially leather in nature
- Medical supplies ~ most medical supplies can freeze causing them to become useless
- Makeup and toiletries ~ lots of makeup items will freeze ruining them or moisture will destroy their usefulness.
- Art supplies and paint
- In colder climates washers and refrigerators with ice makers any water left in the lines or pump will freeze and burst causing them to leak.
In conclusion, climate control is your best option for long term storage to help prevent damage caused by extreme temperature changes and humidity levels. If your storage needs are for a short period of time drive up or conventional storage will suffice. If you have any questions ask the facility manager for their recommendations.
PRO TIP: If you opt for outside, drive up storage, stop by your unit every few weeks during the Fall and Spring months when temperature changes are the most drastic and open the door for 5 to 10 minutes allowing the air to circulate and help reduce the possibility of condensation in your unit.